Categories
High Impact Practices Mental Health Purpose of Teaching

AI & Liberal Education for Resonance

I am excited about St. Lawrence’s work with NetVue, and I am grateful that NetVue‘s blog Vocation Matters published my recent essay on AI and Resonance.

In “Responding to AI with a Resonant Education,” I suggest residential liberal arts colleges are uniquely positioned to respond to the threat of AI because we are places where students can experience resonance inside and outside the classroom.

Without downplaying the existential threats posed by AI, and without ignoring the potential AI holds for improving learning, I think we will benefit from considering how we can create experiences in our classroom that are so engaging that students will forget their social media, forget their phones, and forget that they can use AI to rob themselves of claiming their educations. Ironically–and echoing Patricia Donahue’s fantastic May College talk–highlighting the pleasures of difficulty is one way to disrupt business as usual in the classroom, offering an invitation to investment and engagement.

I understand that this may feel like an overly optimistic approach, so I think it is also useful to consider resources put together by The Ohio State University on the implications of AI for teaching and learning (thanks to Evelyn Jennings for bringing this to my attention). There will be an event during new faculty orientation for all faculty on AI, and there will be a series of events on AI and education over the course of the fall semester. As we continue these conversations, please don’t hesitate to reach out, either to ask questions or share resources.